Peeps Chick nest cupcakes use the marshmallow candy to create an adorable nest cupcake adorned with a purple peeps chick, edible grass, and Hershey’s milk chocolate candy eggs.
The reason these cupcakes are so cute is how simple the nest cupcakes are to decorate. Fun for the whole family to decorate even on Easter Sunday. Just get some edible grass, candy chocolate eggs, peeps chicks, and make some frosting.
History Of Peeps
Peeps are a marshmallow confection marketed since 1953 in the United States and Canada in the shape of chicks, bunnies, and other animals as well as holiday shapes by Pennsylvania-headquartered Just Born Quality Confections.
Firstly, make the batter for the cupcakes. Here a vanilla batter is used that is so moist for the perfect peeps cupcake base. Let’s whisk together vanilla, eggs, sour cream, milk, and softened butter.
Don’t worry the batter will be lumpy. Next we will mix together the dry ingredients. Baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, and flour. Whisk and then mix into the wet ingredients in the stand mixer.
Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake liners, filling each paper with mix about two thirds of the way up. Use cute Easter cupcake liners just be sure to double the liner as it helps with moisture and look.
Bake for about 22 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean. Secondly, while the cupcakes are baking let’s make the frosting. Mix together with a paddle attachment butter, salt, and confectioner’s sugar.
Lastly, add in cream and vanilla. Beat until you have an even, fluffy consistency. Place into a piping bag with a hole at the end or a tip with a hole. Pipe onto the cupcake. Top with edible grass, chocolate egg, and purple Peeps chick.
Peeps chicks and Peeps bunnies make for great Peeps cupcake toppers. Just so adorable how the chicks turn out on edible grass. Easy to decorate with the kids. Great cupcake dessert for Easter.
Make these cupcakes a day ahead. I usually won’t frost them till I am almost ready to serve them. However, the cupcakes can be frosted and placed in the fridge. Just set them out about 30 minutes before serving so the cake part warms up.
Make these peeps cupcakes ahead or bake the cupcakes and let everyone decorate their own for Easter fun. Check out a few other Easter recipes below.
Peeps Chick Nest Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter; softened
- 3 egg whites; room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter; room temperature
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 12 purple peeps chicks
- 12 Hershey’s milk chocolate candy eggs
- 3 packages edible grass green
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan. Double the liners. Sift the flour, sugar salt, baking soda and powder into a large bowl, and whisk together.
- Separate the eggs. In another bowl or stand mixer, whisk together the wet ingredients until combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Distribute the batter evenly into cupcake liners, filling each paper with mix about 2/3 of the way up.
- Bake for about 22 minutes or till a toothpick comes out clean.
- Whip the butter and salt for about a minute using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Sift in the confectioner’s sugar in several batches beating on low after each addition. Scrape the bowl down and repeat the process.
- Add a tablespoon of the cream while mixing on low then add the vanilla. Beat until you have an even, fluffy consistency.
- Pipe white frosting onto the cupcakes. Pull some edible grass from the pack and roll and set on top. Place the peeps chick and an egg on top of the edible grass.