Delicious carrot cake roll made with fresh carrots and filled with cream cheese icing. Bake this up for Easter Sunday for a wonderful Spring dessert.
This looks hard to make but honestly this cake roll is easy. Patience and following the directions will yield an amazing cake roll.
Step one is that you must have a jelly roll cake pan. I highly suggest OXO’s jelly cake pan. This is what I used to bake this carrot roll.
First tip for this carrot cake roll is to line the pan with parchment paper and spray it well. This will help when it comes time to remove and roll the cake. I used a olive oil spray.
Mix together eggs and beat the entire five minutes. Add the rest of the wet ingredients into the bowl.
Mix together dry ingredients like the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and ginger. While beating fold in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
Pour evenly into the jelly roll pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Now it’s time to roll. Make sure the tea towel or flour sack towel you plan to use it at least 1 inch longer than your pan.
Cover the flour sack towel really well in powdered sugar. Now it’s time to flip the cake out onto the sugared towel. Do this by placing the towel sugar side down over the top of the cake.
Lay the cutting board on top of the tea towel. Quickly flip the cake over, so it is laying on top of the dusted flour sack towel. Slowly take the parchment paper off the cake.
Once the pan and parchment paper is removed it’s time to roll the cake. Just flip the edge of the towel over the end of the cake and slowly roll. Once it’s rolled set it aside to fully cool.
Cooling The Cake
I like to cool the cake overnight. I just find this has the best results for me. Once cooled slowly unroll the cake and fill with cream cheese icing. The filling can be what you choose as well.
I used cream cheese icing but you can also do a cream cheese and whipped topping filling. Just place it in the fridge to keep until it’s time to serve. Check out a few other Easter recipes below!
Fun Recipes for Easter
Carrot Cake Roll
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups carrots finely shredded (about 2 large carrots)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting the cake once baked
- linen tea towel/ flour sack towel longer than the pan
- 8 ounces cream cheese; softened
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Set it aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and ground ginger. Set it aside.
- Beat the eggs for 5 minutes, until the eggs are a light frothy yellow. Don't skip on this. Beat the full five minutes. This works better in a stand mixer however doing it in with a hand mixer also works just takes more time.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and oil then continue beating until well combined. Fold in the flour mixture into the wet ingredients then fold in the shredded carrots.
- Evenly pour and spread the cake batter into the prepared jelly roll pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Heavily dust the top of the flour sack towel with powdered sugar. Immediately place the flour sack towel on top of the cake. Lay the cutting board on top of the flour sack towel. Quickly flip the cake over, so it is laying on top of the dusted flour sack towel. Carefully and slowly peel the parchment paper off of the cake. Generally this comes right off if you sprayed the parchment paper well with the oil.
Flip one end of the flour sack towel over one of the short ends of the cake. Slowly begin to roll one end towards the other. Once rolled, set it aside to completely cool. I usually cool this overnight.Filling:
- To make the filling, in a medium-size mixing bowl and with a handheld mixer to cream together the cream cheese and butter for 2 minutes.
Add the vanilla and powdered sugar slowly. Blend well.Finishing:
- Once the cake is cooled slowly unroll the cake. Using a silicone spatula smooth the cream cheese mixture over the surface of the cake avoiding the edges.
- Slowly roll the cake back up making sure to start tightly but carefully.
- Place on a plate and shift powdered sugar over the top.