The Irish have wonderful cuisine it just depends on what you try. This Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew is simple, savory meal made with beef, peas, and carrots. Additionally, the lamb can be supplemented for the stew beef.
With the instant pot this beef stew recipe renders down fast making it an easy stew recipe. We made mashed potatoes to serve with the stew. I used a package of gravy mix so you don’t have to be a gravy expert to make this dish.
Using frozen peas and carrots makes this beef stew dinner easy to make with less ingredients. This beef stew recipe for the instant pot is budget friendly.
Instant pot six quart is the size of our pot that we make instant pot beef stew in. Just add the beef to the instant pot and brown beef with the onions. Add beef broth and then cook the beef on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Once the instant pot is done counting release the pressure. Click on sauté mode and add the peas and carrots. Add in gravy mix while stirring. This will thicken over time and even more so when it cools.
Once the gravy has thickened then the Irish beef stew is ready to plate over mashed potatoes. If you have trouble thickening the sauce then add a cornstarch slurry. Make the Instant pot mashed potatoes with this recipe. Just leave out the parmesan so it matches the beef stew.
Make it gluten free by omitting the gravy mix. Use beef broth and then stir in cornstarch in the sauté mode part of the recipe.
Reheat and Freeze
The recipe makes enough for six people but also enough for two to eat on for lunch and dinner. The instant pot Irish beef stew will freeze for up to a month. Reheat it by microwaving in small portions.
When it comes to beef stew it’s this ultimate comfort food. Great for cold wintry nights where stewed food will warm the soul. Check out other instant pot recipes below for cold winter meals.
Instant Pot Soups and Stews
Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew
For Beef Stew
- 2 lbs stew beef meat; diced small
- 1 1/2 cups white onion; about one whole onion diced
- 2 packages brown gravy mix
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots; may add more if you like
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For Mashed Potatoes:
- 8 red potatoes; diced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup milk; more if needed
- 2 teaspoons salt
For Beef Stew:
- Set instant pot to sauté mode. Add in olive oil. Add in beef and onions. Sauté until beef is browned. Add in beef broth. Turn off sauté mode. Set to high pressure for 20 minutes. Once the instant pot has stopped counting quick release the pressure.
- Remove lid on the instant pot and add in peas and carrots. Set to sauté mode.
- Add in gravy mix and stir well. Cook until it comes to a boil and thickens. Once it's thick turn off sauté mode. Set to keep warm. Stir in pepper.
For Mashed Potatoes:
- Peel the potatoes. Diced them into small pieces and place in the instant pot. Cover with water.
- Set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting release pressure.
- Strain potatoes and add to a bowl. Blend in butter, milk, and salt until the potatoes are creamy and have no lumps.