Instant Pot Baja Chicken Soup
Instant Pot Baja chicken soup is a slightly spicy soup with fire roasted tomatoes, corn, and black beans. Topped with spring onions and cilantro for a bowl of warmth on a cool night.
The broth is flavored from the fire roasted tomatoes and spices. The paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper give it a lot of flavor and make it slightly spicy.
What I love about making this soup in the instant pot is the keep warm function. There is no need to pressure cook this soup. We’re going to use the sauté function of the instant pot.
Turn on the sauté mode by clicking the sauté button. This will be on the normal heat setting. Firstly, add the chicken, garlic, and onion to the pot. Sauté chicken until browned on the outside.
Secondly, mix in the paprika, cumin, and cayenne into the chicken. This allows the spices to adhere to the chicken.
Thirdly, add in the corn, fire roasted tomatoes, and black beans into the pot. Stir well. Ground beef or any kind of bean you desire can be used as well.
Lastly, add cilantro and lime juice to the instant pot for the Instant Pot Baja chicken soup. Click the sauté button again till it goes to high and let the soup come to a boil.
Once the chicken soup comes to a boil turn off sauté and click the keep warm button. This will keep the soup warm for as long as the timer is set.
Top the fire roasted chicken soup with spring onions and chopped cilantro. Other great toppings are cotija cheese, sour cream, or avocado. Dip buttered tortillas into the soup as well.
Allergy Friendly Soup
This chicken soup is dairy free, gluten free, nut free, and egg free. Take out the corn to make it corn free. It’s pretty much allergy friendly.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Make the stove top version. Check out a few other Instant Pot soup recipes below.
Instant Pot Soup Recipes:
Instant Pot Baja Chicken Soup
Fire roasted tomatoes, corn, and black beans in a spiced broth to make Instant Pot Baja chicken soup.
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast; diced
- 1 small white onion; diced
- 3 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can black beans; drained
- 3 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can whole sweet corn; drained (can use frozen)
- 48 oz. chicken stock
- 1/2 lime; juiced
- 1 bundle of cilantro; chopped
- 2 spring onions; sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- Turn on sauté mode to normal heat. Place diced chicken, onions, and garlic into the pot. Cook until chicken is browned on the outside.
- Add in paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Stir well.
- Add in fire roasted tomatoes, corn, and drained black beans. Stir well. Pour in chicken broth. Add in two cups water and stir well. Pour in lime juice.
- Change the sauté setting to high heat by pressing it again. Add in cilantro reserving some for topping the soup at the end.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Once at a boil turn of the sauté mode and turn on keep warm. This will keep the soup warm until ready to eat or as long as the timer is set for.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with cilantro and spring onions diced.