After months of searching and preparing to make a decent Chili Con Carne (sauce/chili) I finally decided to give it a shot. I wanted the taste to be similar to what Taco Cabana uses on their enchiladas and what Sonic uses on their frito pie.
Well folks, I have to admit my family said it tastes just like Sonic’s frito pie which is a plus;. However, they never eat the enchiladas at Taco Cabana so that was up to my taste buds and it is pretty close. This chili is amazing to top on tacos and other foods as well.
On another note, who’s planning on seeing Ice Age this weekend? My daughter and I are thinking of going Friday morning. I love Diego! His expression just crack me up. Ice age makes me laugh and I think we all need a good laugh sometimes.
Who’s your favorite character? My daughter says I’m five. Oh well! She’s twelve and still wants to see it, so I will be five and take her. If you like it with more heat then just add more cayenne and chili powder; just reverse it for less heat. We love to make this for on the go as well.
- FOR CHILI CON CARNE
- 2 lbs. beef chuck
- ½ white or yellow onion; minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- FOR FRITO PIE
- 1 bag of Frito's Original Chips
- 1 to 2 lb. block of cheddar cheese; grated
- Chili Con Carne from recipe above
- In a medium stockpot (8qt), add in ground beef and onion. Bring to a medium heat and fry for about 8 minutes. Add in the cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, salt, and black pepper. Stir well and fry for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add one cup of tomato sauce and one cup of beef broth; stir well. Lower heat to a medium-low heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until you reach the thickness you prefer. Serve over frito pie, hot dogs, or enchiladas.
- Line a basket with paper or use a dish. Add a hand full of fritos and top with cheese. Ladle the chili con carne over the top and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1231Total Fat: 79gSaturated Fat: 38gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 343mgSodium: 2691mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 102g
For more on our nutrition disclaimer https://mooshujenne.com/nutrition-disclaimer/