Basil spinach pesto rotini is packed full of flavor with garlic, parmesan, and topped with cherry tomatoes. Easily make this dish gluten free by changing out the pasta.
This spinach pesto recipe is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. Packed full of healthy basil, spinach, and garlic. Great both warm and chilled for lunches the next day.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Nut Free
No cheese as well so it’s dairy free pesto. This pesto recipe is also nut free as well. Gluten free if you use gluten free pasta. Parmesan cheese can be added in the pesto or on top if desired.
Use fresh spinach and fresh basil. I use a good amount of basil so I buy a plant and use it from the plant instead. I find this is a more affordable way to use basil.
Set the basil spinach pesto aside and drain the pasta. I like to make warm pesto first then cool the leftovers and eat the pesto for lunch the next day.
After draining the pasta mix it into the pesto. Toss well with the pesto until the pasta is covered. Slice and add cherry tomatoes. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.
I always make this in my pasta pot. It allows me to drain easy. It also allows me to just pop this basil pesto into the fridge for lunch the next day.
Variations are easy with this recipe to change this pesto up. Change out the spinach for arugula or kale. Avocado can also be used for more of a southwest flavor. Add bacon to add some smoky flavor to the dish.
Make Ahead and Reheat
This pesto can be made up to two days ahead. Gluten free pasta doesn’t reheat well. It can be cold but may break down. Regular pasta is fine to reheat in the microwave. Eating this basil spinach pesto rotini cold is just as good!
Pastas are easy to make and great for lunches. Check out a few more pasta recipes below.
Basil Spinach Pesto Rotini
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic; minced note: we love garlic you can put less
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 10 cherry tomatoes; halved optional for topping
- 4 tablespoons parmesan optional for topping
- Boil pasta as directed on package. Gluten free pasta works as well.
- In a blender ( or food processor) add in spinach, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Blend well. You may need to work the leaves down with a spoon into the oil.
- Drain pasta and pour pesto into the pasta. Toss well.
- Top with tomatoes and parmesan cheese. Toppings are optional.