Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash is a delectable stewed paprika gravy with a hint of sour from sour cream. Sided with rotini, spaetzle, nokedli, or knedlíky. It’s the perfect comfort meal for a weeknight dinner.
This dish is traditional to Hungary, spelled there “Paprikás Csirke”, this version is not traditional. Some ingredients are a bit different depending on which kitchen it’s made in.
Some people add tomatoes and peppers. More or less sour cream or a different form of sour cream called Smetana which isn’t sold in the states.
History of Chicken Paprikash
Hungarian in origin. Chicken paprikash is a simple comfort food dish with a focus on paprika and onions for seasoning. Traditionally made with thighs and drumsticks. However, updated versions use boneless, skinless chicken.
It’s considered a peasant dish from the southern part of the Hungary where paprika is grown. Often made by people whom herded animals and traveled. This is common with goulash recipes around the world.
Dairy Free and Gluten Free
Make this slow cooker chicken paprikash recipe dairy free by leaving out the sour cream. It will tastes just as good without it. If you want sour add a little lemon juice. To make the paprikash gluten free just use gluten free pasta to side with.
Firstly, cut the chicken down into cubes. Add it the chicken, onion, paprika, and garlic to the slow cooker. Secondly, toss well making sure there is enough paprika to cover the chicken.
Thirdly, if you don’t have enough paprika add more. Make sure to use regular or sweet Hungarian paprika. Not the spicy variations of paprika. Pour in chicken broth.
After adding the broth add some salt and pepper. Lastly, turn on high heat for six hours or low heat for eight hours. The last hour add the cornstarch slurry. Cook until thickened then add the sour cream slurry.
Make Ahead and Freeze
This chicken paprikash recipe can be made ahead. It’s always better the next day just be sure to place it in the fridge. If you want to freeze the chicken paprikash do it before adding sour cream. This will keep in freezer bags up to a month.
This chicken recipe can also be made with pork or beef. Times will vary to get the pork stew meat or beef stew meat tender. However, it’s just as tasty as the chicken paprikash.
Making this slow cooker chicken is great for comfort food any day of the week. I like to make it as a Sunday dinner. Below is a few more slow cooker recipes. If you need the stove top version of chicken paprikash we have that too.
Slow Cooker Recipes:
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Subs
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 white onion; diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic; minced
- 5 tablespoons paprika
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper may add more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt may add more to taste
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 16 oz. rotini pasta
- Water for boiling pasta
- 1 teaspoon parsley for topping optional
- Filet chicken breast in half longwise and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place the washed chicken into the slow cooker. Add in one diced white onion. Add in three tablespoons garlic and stir well.
- Add five tablespoons paprika onto the chicken and stir well until the chicken is coated. Pour in the chicken broth. Add in salt and pepper. Place the slow cooker on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- About one hour until finish time it's time to add the cornstarch. Mix the cornstarch with about 1/2 cup water and pour into the slow cooker. Mix well. This will help thicken the sauce to a gravy. Just thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the liquid has thickened remove some to a bowl and mix in sour cream very well. Then add the sour cream to the pot. This helps from the sour cream becoming chunks in the pot. Stir well.
- Boil pasta as directed on package. Drain and serve topped with the chicken and sauce.