Slow cooker beef chili is a comforting bowl of chili beans, tomatoes, and ground beef. Deliciously paired with sweet cornbread and butter. Great for parties, game day celebrations, and potlucks.
Crock pot beef chili is so perfect for game day. Make it ahead and with the slow cooked flavors everyone will love how tender this beef chili comes out. Best cooking process is low and slow for six hours.
Spice That Chili
This recipe for beef chili has a bit of a kick. If you want a mild version just leave out the jalapeno and use less of the cayenne pepper and chili powder. Those spices are what bring heat and flavor to the slow cooker chili.
Firstly, fry the ground beef in a skillet with onion. Some may put raw beef into the slow cooker or crock pot but I don’t suggest that. Cook the beef first then add it to the crock pot or slow cooker.
Drain the black beans and wash. Place the black beans and chili beans into the slow cooker with the ground beef. Don’t drain the chili beans as the juice adds flavor.
Stir the chili beans and black beans well with the ground beef and onions. Next, it’s time to add some texture to the chili.
Add the petite diced tomatoes over the top of the bean and beef mixture. Stir well to incorporate the tomatoes into the beef and beans.
Add in beef broth and tomato sauce to the ground beef, chili beans, black beans, and petite diced tomato mixture.
Lastly, add the cayenne, cumin, paprika, chili powder, pepper, and jalapenos to the slow cooker. Mix in the spices well with the ground beef chili mixture.
Slow cook for six hours on low or if your in a hurry just three hours on high. Cooking low and slow yields a better flavor in the end.
Our Favorite Chili Toppings:
- Cheese – any kind of shredded cheese that you prefer.
- Onion – spring onions or red onion diced make a great topping.
- Avocado – I love avocado slices on chili. It helps with the heat.
- Cilantro – for garnish and additive flavor.
- Sour cream – good for the cool down.
- Sliced jalapenos – if you like a boost of heat add a little more on top.
Chili is great on it’s own although beef chili is great over Fritos, baked potatoes, and even hot dogs for a good chili dog. I love to pair my chili with cornbread and butter.
Gluten Free and Dairy Free
This slow cooker beef chili recipe is gluten free. Just be sure your beans are packaged gluten free. It’s also a dairy free chili until cheese is added.
Makes Ahead, Reheat, and Freeze
This chili recipe is easily made one day ahead and placed in the fridge overnight. Reheat it by placing it in the slow cooker and turning on low till desired warmth. Beans usually don’t freeze well.
Slow cooker chili is great for game day, football tailgating, and even home parties. I love it for an easy beef dinner recipe.
Slow Cooker Recipes:
Slow Cooker Beef Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs. 90/10 ground beef
- 1 white onion; diced
- 2 – 15.5 oz cans black beans
- 2 – 15 oz cans chili beans
- 18 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jalapeno; diced
- 29 oz. can tomato sauce
- 24 oz. beef broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro for topping optional
- Add olive oil to a frying pan. Place onions and ground beef into the frying pan. Sauté on high until ground beef is browned.
- Add ground beef to the slow cooker. Drain two cans of black beans and add to the ground beef mixture in the slow cooker. Add two cans of chili beans. Don't drain the chili beans.
- Pour can of diced tomatoes into the slow cooker and stir well. Add in paprika, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and pepper into the cooker. Toss in the de-seeded and de-ribbed diced jalapeno. Stir well.
- Pour in tomato sauce and beef broth. Stir well. Place on low heat for 6 hours. After this time move to keep warm if needed.
- Serve topped with cilantro. Cheese, sour cream, and Fritos go great with this chili along with a good side of cornbread.