Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Meatballs are great for sub sandwiches for lunches. Make them as an easy budget dinner. Great on the go meal too for sports and extra curricular activities.
This meal is also easy to take the instant pot camping with you. Make the meatballs and serve the meatballs on hoagie buns. Made with bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms it’s a well rounded meal.
I make these instant pot Philly cheese steak meatballs for weeknight dinners, Additionally, I make the meatballs for events like football games, tailgating, and even Superbowl Sunday. Cook the gravy meatballs in the instant pot to serve up easily at any potluck or work party.
Making The Meatballs:
First, when making the meatballs I use the entire bag of meatballs. If you need to cut the recipe in half do not cut the time in half. If you have an 8 quart instant pot and can fit more the cook time still stays the same. The 6 minutes is what is needed to stream the meatballs.
Second, I always use the steamer basket inside the instant pot and then place the meatballs on top. This allows the meatballs to not stick to the bottom. Hence you won’t receive that horrid burn notice.
Lastly, I add in the vegetables because we are only steaming this for 6 minutes. This will make the vegetables very tender. If you don’t want that then you can wait and saute the vegetables with the gravy at the end.
What Kind Of Frozen Meatballs?
Once the meatballs are done steaming on manual pressure in the instant pot 6 quart duo I stir in some gravy packets. I get the cheapest brown gravy packets which makes this meal super budget friendly. The meatballs used are home style meatballs but in this recipe Italian style would be great too.
After adding the gravy to the instant pot I set the instant pot to saute mode. This is one of the other buttons on the outside of the instant pot. The saute function is great for thickening sauces or sauteing vegetables.
Above all, I like to add some parmesan cheese to the top of my meatball sub but that’s up to you want you would like to top it with. The hoagie buns we used are by Pepper Ridge farms. We find that the hoagies are the best quality local to us. Hope you enjoy these Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Meatballs.
Other Great meatball recipes:
Instant Pot Philly Cheese Steak Meatballs
- 28 oz frozen beef meatballs; home-style not Italian
- 2 packages brown gravy mix
- 1 white onion; sliced in rounds
- 2 bell peppers; sliced into strips
- 1 package baby bella mushrooms; sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 package hoagie rolls
- Place steamer basket into the instant pot. Add in 1 cup water. Pour in frozen meatballs.
- Add chopped peppers, onions, and mushrooms to the top. Place lid on the pot. Set valve to sealed position. Press pressure cook or manual button and set time to 6 minutes.
- Once the instant pot stops counting quick release the pressure via the valve. Remove all the meatballs and vegetables to a bowl. Remove steamer basket. Remove insert and drain liquid. Replace insert back into the instant pot.
- Place 1 and 1/2 cup water into the instant pot. Pour in gravy packs and whisk well. Set instant pot to saute mode. Then add all the meatballs and vegetables back into the pot. Stir often until gray thickens up around the meatballs. Turn off saute mode.
- Serve on hoagie rolls with provolone or parmesan cheese.