Hot Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints is the perfect Christmas cookie. With both chocolate and peppermint flavors and mini marshmallows. These peppermint cookies will be a huge hit in cookie exchanges.
Made with a chocolate dough, crushed peppermint, Ghirardelli’s milk chocolate melting wafers, and mini marshmallow bits. These chocolate cookies are easy to make.
I like to use my kitchen aid stand mixer for this. However, a hand mixer can be used instead. Firstly prep all the dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
Secondly add the butter and sugar to the stand mixer. Cream these together until light and fluffy. Best not to over mix the butter and sugar.
Thirdly mix in the cocoa and milk. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in the stand mixer. Roll dough into small balls (about 1″ wide) and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the right amount of dough. Use your thumb to press down in the center of the balls. This where the chocolate will go after baking.
Lastly once the cookies are baked melt the chocolate for the centers. Do this by following the directions on the Ghirardelli’s bag. Each brand has different directions so make sure to look.
When removing the cookies from the oven use a small teaspoon and lightly press the cookie dough down where the thumbprint is. Then fill with the melted chocolate.
Top the melted chocolate with mini marshmallow bits along with crushed peppermint. Crush peppermint can be bought or crush your own out of peppermint candies or candy canes.
Hot chocolate peppermint thumbprints are so fun to serve up with hot chocolate. Make them for holiday cookie gifting or Christmas cookie exchanges.
We have a few other great cookies for baking. These cookies are also great for exchanges as well. Check out the list below.
Hot Chocolate Peppermint Thumbprints
- 1 cup 2 sticks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 oz bag Ghirardelli’s chocolate melting wafers
- 10 pieces peppermint candies; crushed
- 1/2 cup jet puffed mini marshmallow bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. You can use a hand mixer as well. Mix in cocoa powder and milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients slowly while mixing. Mix well.
- Roll dough into small balls (about 1" wide) and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Use your thumb to press down in the center of the balls.
- Bake for 9 minutes until cookies look dry and start to crack a bit around the top. After removing from the oven gently press down the centers again with a small spoon. Allow to cool.
- Melt the Ghirardelli's chocolate wafers as listed on the package. Fill the thumbprint centers with the chocolate. Crush the peppermints with the flat side of a kitchen mallet and sprinkle on top. Add some marshmallow bits.
- Store in an airtight container.