It’s that time of year where we celebrate the red, white and blue. July 4th is a celebration of independence and of course lots of food and fireworks. For this July 4th, try this tasty red and blue ice cream. It’s a no churn ice cream recipe and super simple to make at home.
Flavor The Ice Cream
On top of the cool colors that are made simple with food gels. This ice cream can be made in just about any flavor that an extract can be bought. For this ice cream I used coconut extract but vanilla bean or toffee can be used too. Just add a little cinnamon to the original flavor and you don’t need an extract.
This is a no churn ice cream so a ice cream machine is not needed to make this ice cream. A stand mixer is best but it is possible to achieve the whipped topping from the heavy cream with a hand mixer. It will just take a little longer. For this a whisk attachment is best for the stand mixer or hand mixer.
After all that whisking fun it’s time to dye the ice cream. First, it’s important to say that red dyes usually take more dye than any other color to achieve the deeper reds. Second, always use food gel not food coloring. The color difference is amazing with the gels.
Use the red food gel to achieve the red color you see above. Then mix the blue food gel into the icing that we are going to drop into the ice cream mixture. This is what will give us that pretty marbled effect in the red and blue ice cream.
Layering The Ice Cream
After all the dying fun we now get to add it to the 9×9 square pan. Add in half of the red ice cream in first. Then drop in some of the blue icing. Add more red on top and then more blue icing. Be sure not to stir this was then you will just have some weird purple ice cream.
This picture above shows how I dropped in the blue icing into the red ice cream mixture. I did not stir so that when it freezes and it’s scooped it’s this lovely red and blue effect. This is really so fun to serve up for the 4th of July.
Use sugar cones or waffle cones for this yummy no churn ice cream. Make it a day ahead to serve up on the 4th. It’s great for parties along with memorial day and labor day.
For a few more 4th of July recipes check out the list below. I have a few red, white, and blue foods that will wow your guests at your party. Hope you enjoy this fun and simple ice cream recipe.
4th of July Recipes:
- July 4th Stained Glass Jello Shots
- July 4th Fruit Salsa
- Captain America Ice Cream Cake
- Red White and Blue Salad
Red and Blue Ice Cream
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 – 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 small tub of white icing
- 10 drops red food gel
- 2 drops blue food gel
- 3 tablespoons coconut extract
- ice cream cones
- Place heavy whipping cream in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Add coconut flavoring. This can also be done with a hand blender with whisk attachment but will take much longer. Blend in the stand mixer with a whisk attachment for 4 minutes on low speed and adjust speed going up to 6 as it thickens. This may take about 10 minutes to thicken. Once it resembles whipped topping then it’s ready.
- Fold in the can of sweetened condensed milk and 10 drops of red food gel. Get it to the red you would like to achieve. Then pour half the red mixture into a 9×9 inch square pan.
- Mix in 2 drops of blue food gel to the white icing. Drop some of the blue in different places into the red. Do not stir or you will have purple. Just drop it in and then top with more red and more blue icing. When if freezes and the ice cream is scooped the marbled effect will happen.
- Once the ice cream is all in the pan. Place in the freeze for at least 6 hours but best if froze overnight.
- Scoop and serve!