So, maybe you can’t find canned pumpkin or you just want to make it fresh from a pie pumpkin. Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree is the perfect way to make pumpkin puree simply and fast. We use pie pumpkins because they are the best pumpkins to use for this.
However, you can use other edible pumpkins. That being said the times in the recipe card below are for pie pumpkins. If you plan to use a regular pumpkin then you will need to up the time per the size of the pumpkin.
For a pie pumpkin you will do 20 minutes with quick pressure release. For a regular pumpkin 30 minutes is a better time. If the pumpkin that was picked is thicker then more time might need to be added. The best way to test if the pumpkin is fully cooked is to insert a fork from the inside and make sure it goes through easily to the skin.
Cut off the top of the pumpkin. Be sure to remove all the seeds from the pumpkin. Place in your instant pot. If your pumpkin is too big for the instant pot cut it down into quarters or slices. Be sure to use the trivet so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the instant pot.
We use quick release for this as we feel it cooks more evenly. Quick release is when you release the pressure as soon as the pot stops counting and beeps. Be sure to turn off keep warm after by hitting cancel on the pot.
How Do I Know The Pumpkin Is Done
When you can insert a fork from the inside of the pumpkin and it easily goes to the skin of the pumpkin. This means the pumpkin is ready. Remove it from the pot and peel off the skin. Blend in a blender or food processor. This will allow you to bake with the puree or freeze for later use.
We hope you use this more organic way to make instant pot pumpkin puree for pies and any pumpkin desserts. Add it to chili or use the pumpkin puree for classic pumpkin soup. My favorite way to use it is in ravioli’s .
Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 pie pumpkin
- Place trivet into the instant pot. Add one cup water.
- Cut top off pumpkin and remove seeds and pulp strings from the inside.
- Place pumpkin into the instant pot. Place lid onto to the instant pot. Set the valve to sealed position. Press high pressure, pressure cook, or manual button depending on your pot. Set time to 20 minutes.
- Once the instant pot stops counting and beeps release the pressure by turning the valve to the unsealed position.
- Insert fork into the pumpkin from the inside and make sure it easily goes to the skin. That’s how you know the pumpkin is ready. If not, than recook for a few more minutes. Some pumpkins are tougher than others so adjust to the thickness.
- Remove skin from pumpkin and then blend in food processor for use in pies, desserts, and chili.