Instant pot bacon green beans is a simple side dish to pair with Thanksgiving dinner or just any weeknight meal. Serve it up with barbecue brisket or some chicken fried steak. Either way this is a simple dish to make with fresh green beans in the instant pot.
Love that this green bean recipe comes together so fast for a side dish; and it’s gluten free. I like to trim the ends of the green beans before adding them to the instant pot. I use the sauté function on the instant pot to cook the bacon and onions down first.
Instant Pot Green Bean Cook Time Tips
Secondly, I add the greens beans to the instant pot. Cook times vary depending on how you like your green beans. For crunchy green beans just do “0” minutes on the pot. For the sweet spot do 2 minutes on the pot for time. Anything over this I find to be too soft.
Don’t Get A Burn Notice
When cooking the bacon in the instant pot the saute mode is used. If the bacon starts to stick just use a tad of water or broth to deglaze it from the pot. This process will help keep the pot from give a burn notice later when cooking.
Add in the onions once the bacon is near done. The onions don’t need to cook long as they will cook under pressure with the green beans. This will allow the flavor from the onion and bacon to infuse into the green beans.
Snipping the ends of the green beans allows for no crunchy ends. I don’t prefer the ends so I remove them. This I highly suggest doing as it is better for texture purposes. I like a lot of garlic so the garlic can definitely be reduced if you not a fan.
Make this green bean side dish spicy by adding some cayenne pepper. Change the flavor with some Greek seasoning or paprika. The possibilities are endless when it comes to this side dish. Heck even dip them in ranch!
Don’t forget how great this is for the Holidays. Perfect for Thanksgiving side dish to take to the families or cook at home. Also wonderful for a simple side dish for a potluck. We like to pack these green beans and take them on picnic with brisket sandwiches.
Try These Thanksgiving Side Dishes:
Instant Pot Bacon Green Beans
- 5 slices bacon; thick cut diced
- 1 lb fresh green beans; ends trimmed
- 1 white onion; halved and sliced into rounds
- 1 cup broth; beef or vegetable is fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic; optional on how much to use
- Add bacon to pot and set on saute mode. Cook until bacon is cooked then add broth to deglaze pot and help to come to pressure.
- Add in onions, trimmed green beans, salt, garlic, and pepper. Place lid on pot. Set valve to seal position. Press pressure cook/manual/high pressure button and then set timer to 0 minutes for crisp green beans or 2 minutes for softer green beans.
- Once the pot stops counting and beeps release the pressure by turning the valve to the unsealed position. Serve!