Cavatappi noodles are on my list as one of the best noodles hands down. Furthermore, the texture is perfect to hold up to beefy sauces and all things cheese. Who doesn’t love a quick, easy pasta dish. Creamy Beef Cavatappi is a ground beef recipe that will be on your weeknight dinner table.
Why Creamy Beef Cavatappi?
First, the rich beef sauce with plenty of cream and cheese adds a very comforting flavor. Cavatappi pasta recipes are perfect for weeknight dinners. Hence, this creamy beef cavatappi I like to make mid week for the entire family. It’s also great for large family dinners. Serve it up with bread and dessert for three course meal.
This pasta dish comes together in around 30 minutes or less. Simple ingredients in this dish builds complex flavors. Therefore, this makes the pasta dish perfect comfort food. Above all the fresh herbs bring out the flavor of the meat. Who doesn’t like simple beef dinner recipes.
To thicken the sauce we use wondra flour but it’s not needed. This dish can be thickened by allowing the cream to cook longer or you may use cornstarch in place of the thickening flour we used. Wondra is just my go to when it comes to gravies and sauces. I love to use it for goulash, stews, and simple sauces. Don’t miss out on wondra as an ingredient.
Layering in the cream along with the parmesan and mozzarella cheese in this dish allows the sauce to stick to the cavatappi noodles. Lastly, I love to top this dish off with cracked black pepper. When serving formally the dish can be topped with fresh basil. Toppings are always the finale of the dish. Things like basil and fresh grated Parmesan can make the dish all that more desirable.
Creamy Beef Cavatappi
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta; or pasta of choice
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 white onion; diced
- 10 basil leaves; fresh
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 1/3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon wondra
- In a saute pan, add in ground beef, garlic, and onion. Saute until ground beef is browned and onions are tender.
- Pour in beef broth and tomato sauce. Stir well. Set heat to low (4).
- Mix wondra into a 1/3 cup water and stir into the sauce.
- Cook pasta as directed on box.
- Stir in basil and thyme.
- Pour in the heavy cream while stirring.
- Add in parmesan and mozzarella cheese stirring well.
- Top with salt and pepper. Stir.
- Mix in strained cavatappi pasta to the sauce. Top with more pepper and serve.