I live about two hours from West, TX. My sweet V and his parents are Czech. His parents came to Texas more then 25 years ago from the Czech Republic and they love it here. When I witnessed the tragedy on the news I knew I had to help somehow.
On April 17th, a small town named West in Texas was rocked by a fertilizer plant explosion. 15 people lost their lives with almost 200 injured. Many of those that fell were firefighters that were first to the scene.
It’s such a tragic event to hit this little Czech/Texan community. With more then $100 million in damage, my fellow bloggers and I decided to #BakeForWest to show our support in hopes to raise awareness for those to donate to help this great Czech/Texan town West, TX.
In West, Texas is a quaint little shop called the Czech Stop that are famous for their kolaches. It’s right off one of our main highways. The town is well known for its Czech culture and heritage
In fact, the Czech Republic is donating monies to help with this community. It may not be much but it is nice of them to put forward an effort to help.
Today, I am using a recipe that V’s mom sent me a few years ago after she baked me this wonderful cake with fresh plums from the tree in her backyard. It is traditionally made with cherries or other fresh picked berries that grow wild in the Czech Republic.
I looked everywhere for cherries but they are not in season here yet. I decided to settle on raspberries since they are a berry and one of V’s favorites. Here is my #BakeForWest recipe: Raspberry Bublanina (bubbly cake) in honor for those lost or injured in this horrible tragedy.
- 1¼ cups whole milk
- 5 eggs, separated, save whites
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups of raspberries; or fruit you would like.
- 1 lemon, zested & juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9x11 pan and set aside. Toss raspberries in one to tablespoons flour and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Set bowl aside. Separate eggs yolks from whites into two small bowls. In a stand mixer beat the egg whites on a 10 for 2 to 3 minutes until they form stiff white peaks. You may also hand whisk the egg whites.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, and vegetable oil until the batter is smooth like silk. Slowly whisk in dry ingredients with the wet until the batter is smooth. Using a spatula, fold in the egg whites slowly and carefully. Do not over mix. The egg whites will create your bubbly top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a small butter knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature and shift powdered sugar over the top of the cake. Serve in small squares.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 510mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 9g
For more on our nutrition disclaimer https://mooshujenne.com/nutrition-disclaimer/