All summer long I’ve been looking for the time to take a day trip to Dallas with my teens to have a picnic and see the history. One thing or another always comes up. I hope we can get it scheduled in before school starts. My daughter is in color guard so she will be busy even before school soon. This little recipe will go along with us on our picnic. It’s a Picnic Pasta Salad which is super easy to stuff off into a jar and enjoy on the go.
What I enjoy about picnic’s when it’s not 100 degree outside is the simplicity of the food. It can be leftovers from a big barbecue or fresh made sandwiches. My favorite picnic food is Italian pressed sandwiches paired with a good pasta salad.
It’s easy to pack. Just wrap the sandwich in parchment and baker’s twine and put your pasta in any jar including recycled jars. We like to reuse pesto jars for pasta salad. The jar show here I bought at Dollar Tree for spices and it ended up being too large.
I use them for everything now though. I like to keep left packets of mayo, ketchup, mustard or whatever you get from food places in a plastic baggy in the fridge. Use them for picnics and on the go food.
Do you have a favorite picnic recipe? If so, I would love to hear about it below in the comments. One link is welcome!
Summer Picnic Recipes
- Save More Spend Less with Heidi – Ranch Seafood Rolls
- From Scratch – Creamy Cucumber Salsa
- Feed Me Seymour – Single Serving Lavender Lemonade
- Touch of Modern Hospitality – Broccoli Salad
- Mrs. Criddle’s Kitchen – Mango Kiwi Salsa
- The Baking Fairy – Berry Panna Cotta
- 1 bag of garden rotini pasta
- 4 roma tomatoes; small diced
- 1 red onion; small diced
- 1 crown of broccoli; chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle of Kraft Viva Italian dressing
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain pasta let cook for 10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Place bowl in freezer for 45 minutes.
- Diced tomatoes, onions, and broccoli. Place in medium bowl. Pull out pasta and top with vegetables. Add salt and pepper and fold to incorporate all the vegetables and seasonings. Shake dressing and pour over pasta. Toss until dressing covers pasta well.
- Refrigerate for a later time or serve immediately.
Top with parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 48Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 206mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
For more on our nutrition disclaimer https://mooshujenne.com/nutrition-disclaimer/