Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad
I’m a sucker for jerk chicken. However, even more so for rainier cherries. That’s why this salad is so different the combination of the sweet and spicy flavors really make this salad delicious. Jamaican Jerk Chicken salad is topped with vibrant mango, rainier cherries, and spring onions on a bed of spring mix. Topped of with your favorite dressing this salad will wow.
Rainier cherries the little fantastic pops of color and flavor go perfect on any salad. They are my guilty pleasure! Anytime I see rainier cherries at the market it’s right in to the basket they go.
Rainier Cherries Did You Know:
Rainier cherries are a cultivar of cherry. The cherry was developed in 1952 at Washington State University by Harold Fogle. Rainier cherries were named after Mount Rainier. It is a cross between the ‘Bing’ and ‘Van’ cultivars. Yet another fantastic food from Washington state.
What is Jerk style of cooking:
Jerk is a style of cooking native to Jamaica. The meat is dry-rubbed or wet marinated with a hot spice mixture called Jamaican jerk spice. We use jerk seasoning on both pork or chicken. Here we show how to make the dry rubbed Jamaican Jerk chicken to top over a salad. Look for specialty markets like central market or sprouts. Often you will find the right jerk seasoning there.
Cast Iron Skillet:
Most people make Jamaican jerk chicken on a grill. Usually, the jerk chicken is cooked over certain types of wood for grilling. However, if you don’t have access to either of those a cast iron skillet will do the trick. The key is to cook low and slow rather than turning the heat up. Higher heat will result in uncooked chicken. Hence, keep that heat low and use it to cook the chicken nicely.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad goes nicely topped with a mango dressing. Additionally, you can go basic with an Italian dressing. We prefer vinegar based dressings with this salad. However, the possibilities are endless. If you would like to try another delightful salad try this Watermelon and Feta Salad or Italian Prosciutto Sub Salad.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad
Jamaican Jerk Chicken salad is topped with vibrant mango, rainier cherries, and spring onions on a bed of spring mix.
- 1.3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/3 cup mango; peeled and sliced
- 5 cups spring salad mix
- 20 rainier cherries; pitted
- 1 cup spring onions; diced
- 3 tablespoon Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Dressing of choice
- Take large chicken breast and filet lengthwise into thirds.
- Add olive oil to cast iron skillet then set to a medium low heat between a 2 and 4.
- Add chicken to skillet and top with Jamaican jerk seasoning. Cook for a few minutes then flip and add seasoning to the other side of the chicken. Cook on low flipping every few minutes for about 15 minutes until chicken is fully cooked on the inside and outside is nice and crispy.
- Slice mangos, pit the cherries, and chop the spring onions. Place in a bowl with spring salad mix and toss.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and slice into pieces. Mix chicken into the salad and serve topped with dressing of choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 395Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 343mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 48g
For more on our nutrition disclaimer https://mooshujenne.com/nutrition-disclaimer/
This looks absolutely delicious. I love jerk, and adding Rainier cherries is genius.